Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Gifts from the Kitchen (idea #5) Birdseed Wreath

Submitted by Ann Kelly



When I came across this idea at The Mother Huddle I knew that my nature loving, bird watching son would LOVE LOVE LOVE to make them. 

 I spent $17 and made 6 of these... not too bad, that was buying everything except the ribbon. 

And they make a great gift too, my son was really excited to make one of these for his Grandpa, and the neighbor that he "bird watches" with. So these are great gifts and so so easy to make, we really made several of these in less than 30 minutes and that was with "help" from my 6 year old. 

4 cups bird seed feed
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup water
3 Tablespoons corn syrup
1 package of plain gelatin
cooking spray
bundt pan or other mold with a hole in the center (I also used cookie cutters for ornaments)


1. In a Large bowl  dissolve the gelatin in the warm water stirring until it is dissolved. 

2. Whisk flour and corn syrup into the gelatin mixture until a paste is made and most of the lumps are whisked out. 

3. Add bird seeds and mix well. 

4. Spray the bundt pan or what ever you are using as a mold and press the seeds into the mold until it is good and firm. 

5. The Mother Huddle left theirs in the pan for 24 hours then flipped  the wreath out on a plate but I turned mine out on the plate in about 10 minutes, so I could use the pan to make more wreaths. Then I let it dry for about 36 hours. 

6. Place a ribbon through the wreath and hang. 


We also pressed some of the mixture into cookie cutters, using the straw to make a hole for hanging. 

Then once they were dry we added ribbon  for ornaments, or to add to packages, and to give my son some "gifts" since he thinks everyone that walks into our house needs a gift from him.






This post is linked up with Savvy Southern Style  Its a Hodgepodge Life   Chic on a Shoestring   Thirty Handmade Days    One Artsy Mom   Kitchen Fun with my 3 sons   Kelly's Korner





Pin It

22 comments:

  1. Love the bird seed wreath idea! I'll have to keep that in mind for next year. We just made the bird seed ornaments with my daughters girl scout troop for a tree we adopt at the park for the winter. Stopping by from thirty handmade days linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful inexpensive gift! Thank you for posting this! I'm planning to make them as gifts for a few friends this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't see the comment now but someone had asked how many this recipe makes...as listed the recipe makes one wreath. She just repeated it to make more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will be making several tonight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Question once they dry and you hang them up how do they keep from breaking and falling apart since they are so heavy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. use a wide ribbon to hang and it should be fine. Our made it through 2 small rain showers but I was gone for a weekend and it rained all weekend long and it broke in half at that point... it was also about half eaten by that point as well.

      Delete
  6. Can you spray anything on it to help it stay together?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You don't really want to spray them with anything, because they're meant for the birds to eat. If they are hung out of the rain, they last alot longer. They are so pretty to hang outside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made some tonight and because i wanted to keep going and not wait for it to harden on each set, i made mine in tin pie pans and used a Styrofoam cup in the center. about an hour later, i could lift the entire wreath with the cup, crush the cup up, and the wreath was perfect. it's going to sit out and harden tonight and be presents for neighbors tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea with the tin pans and cup! Hope your neighbors loved them!

      Delete
  9. I followed the recipe and mine fell apart when I took it out if the pan. I dont know why? Just use one small envelope of the gelatin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Amber, I tried one a few days after Ann Kelly and it didn't work either but it was really rainy and damp out. I tried it again the next day when it wasn't rainy and I also realized I didn't stir the gelatin the five minutes (that it stated on the side of the box)and it worked perfectly that day. Hope this helps and that you will give it another try. They turned out super cute and my kids great grandparents loved them!

      Delete
  10. Are you suppose to use the whole box or one package of the gelatin?

























    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! I cannot wait to use this for my Cub Scouts. I have looking for a birdseed recipe that doesn't involve peanut butter (allergies). The boys will be so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Will it stay together if it rains

    ReplyDelete
  13. it will stay together with light rains but downpours will break it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made 3 of these last night with my 20 year old son for his grannies for Christmas. They worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Made these with my son last night...they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Made these last night with my son for Christmas gifts....they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can these be hung out year round?? Also, was your bundt pan the regular size or a smaller 6 cup pan?

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look like fun to make. How well do they hold up in a warm climate?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Stopping by we LOVE to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...