Wednesday, November 7, 2012

canning pineapple-- water bath



  1. A Couple weeks ago at Aldi they had pineapples for 99 cents. I bought 5 which I knew was more than we would eat before they went bad but I wanted to give canning them a shot. I used 3 small pineapples and got 5 pints of canned pineapple, and 5 cups of pineapple juice (from running the core and peels through my juicer) that I froze in Ice cubes for smoothies. Not bad for $3 and it was super easy. UPDATE::: 12 pineapples produced 24 pints. 
An average of 21 pounds is needed per canner load of 7 quarts; or  13 pounds is needed for 9 pints.



Pell and remove eyes and tough fiber core from the pineapple.

Slice or cube how you prefer I did large chucks. Bring Pineapple covered in water(or simple syrup if you prefer)  to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes.


Fill hot jars with hot pineapple then add cooking liquid, leaving 1/2 inch head space.

Check for air bubbles, wipe rims and place lids on the jars and process in a water bath for 20 minutes for pints and 25 minutes for quarts. 
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Hi there. Food on Friday: Pineapple is open for entries. This looks like a neat one! I do hope you link it in. This is the link . Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for linking this one in. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. how long did you cook the pineapple & how much water did you use for that?

    thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UPDATE::: 12 pineapples produced 24 pints.

      An average of 21 pounds is needed per canner load of 7 quarts; or 13 pounds is needed for 9 pints.


      I did not measure the water sorry

      Delete

Thanks for Stopping by we LOVE to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...