Sponsors

.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Spicy Dill Pickles

Submitted by Ann Kelly

I am not a huge fan of homemade pickles but my Son LOVES them and eats a pint a week, so I make pickles. This recipe is what I have made the past couple years and it is my favorite so far. The pickles don't get as mushy as other recipes I have used. 

3 1/2 pounds of small to medium cucumbers (the smaller the better for me)
2 cups water 
1 cup vinegar
1/4 cup BALL KOSHER DILL PICKLE MIX (this is the ONLY mix I like)
Fresh dill weed
cayenne pepper 1 per jar
2 cloves of garlic peeled and cut in half per pint
wide mouth quart or pint jars with lids and rings 

  1. While you heat your jars wash and cut your cucumbers into spears, I only half some or leave the smallest whole, depending on the size. The bigger the pieces the crunchier they will be in the end. 
  2. In a pan heat to a boil  the water, vinegar and pickle mix. 
  3. In your warm clean jars place 1 small piece of dill weed about 3 inches long, 1 pepper, and 2 garlic cloves in the bottom of your jar then PACK your cucumbers in AS TIGHTLY as you can. 
  4. Once you can fit nothing else in the jar fill the jar with the hot liquid leaving at least 1/2 inch of head space at the top of your jar, and put the lids and rings on the jars. 
  5. Process in a WATER BATH for 5 mins for pints, 7 for quarts.




Pin It
This post is linked up with Mandy's Recipe box  Salt Tree  Tip Junkie  Not Just a Housewife   Mom on Timeout   Yesterday on Tuesday  Beyond the Picket Fences

1 comment:

  1. These look fantastic! My husband loves spicy pickles and I've been trying to learn how to can, so this is perfect :)

    Stopping by from Totally Tasty Tuesday

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Stopping by we LOVE to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...