Sunday, June 10, 2012

Freezing Fresh Herbs in Butter, Oil, or Broth

Submitted by Ann Kelly


Today is National Herb and Spice Day... Here are a couple ways to enjoy your herbs and spices.


 Out in the world of Pinterest you can find all kinds of goodies. Last week I came across The Gardeners Eden an their Frozen herbs. This is such a good idea. I had to give it a try myself and I will be store more up this summer to use throughout the winter.
So I headed out to my garden and picked few fresh herbs to try. 




 Basil, Rosemary, oregano, and thyme.


After I washed them and took the stems off I added the leaves to my ice trays. 

 The basil Leaves I put in my small food processor with the juice from a half  a lime and some oil, I would do my basil like this again. It takes up much less space and I rarely use whole basil leaves.

Above is my basil I then put a little extra oil in the cube to cover the basil.  Then I  filled up the cubes with olive oil or  grape seed oil NOTE grape seed oil DOES NOT FREEZE. So you will want to us broth, water, olive oil, or butter.
 Once they are all full just put the try in the freezer until they freeze solid.


 I just popped mine out and am storing in the freezer. I have already used some for marinades and they tasted great. Make sure to check out The Gardeners Eden to see more great pictures of this wonderful Idea.

 I have also recently found Mountain Rose Herbs I have placed one order and making my list for another large order. They have lots and lots of spices and herbs alone with teas and lots of other great supplies







Pin It
We would love for you to follow us on Facebook!
This post is linked up at: Sew Many Ways  I should be mopping the floorMake Ahead Meals for Busy MomsFlour Me With LoveSumos Sweet Stuff  Serendipity and Spice Yummy Inspirations  This Chick Cooks  Someday Crafts   The Trendy Treehouse  Printabelle   The Brambleberry Cottage  The Shabby Creek Cottage   Somewhat SimpleA Little Knick KnackSimply Sweet homeChic On A Shoestring DecoratingTidy MomOne Art Mama504 MainThe Grant LifeCrumbs and ChaosMad In CraftsNap-Time CreationsNot Just a HousewifeMandy's Recipe Box   Ginger Snap Crafts  Allergy Free Wednesday  Yesterday On Tuesday

19 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I can't wait to have a garden again next year. Your blog is great, I can't wait to read even more.

    And thanks for the sweet comment about the mobile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an incredible ideas! Will for sure, be giving this a try this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! We have our Kitchen Fun & Crafty link party up and would love for you to share this!
    http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2012/06/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a clever idea, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow thanks for the tip, what a great idea! I often wonder how to preserve herbs, and this is a great way to do it!!!! Thanks!
    Maria @ www.shopgirlmaria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent idea! I'm glad you saw your feature! If you would like a featured button, I have them here: http://printabelle.com/?page_id=724

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect timing for this tip... please share this on my foodie friday party. I'm sure a lot of garderners would like to know about saving their herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever tip! While I don't grow many of my own herbs this would be a great way to use up any store-bought fresh herbs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic tip! I always want fresh herbs in winter- when they're not in season! You're being featured tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving this idea. I have a VERY bountiful herb garden and would adore doing this for the winter. I may even freeze my mint so I can have it in my tea all year long!! Thanks so much for linking up at Mop It Up Mondays. I'm featuring you tomorrow!
    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! What a great solution to my herbs withering away in my fridge. Had to give this a little feature today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tried this and my olive oil did not freeze, it just kind of jelled. did I not leave it in the freezer long enough?I left it in for 12 hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to let mine sit a good long time before they were good and frozen i don't remember how long for sure. . the ones I did in the grape seed oil never froze.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I will try again and leave them longer

      Delete
  13. Great idea! I don't know if my pot of herbs will continue to be as bountiful as it is right now. It is surviving very well during our hot-hot weather & MAY be okay through our mild winter, but I may try this tip just in case!

    I would like to know if you've ever tried freezing tomatoes? We have a bumper crop of cherry & pear tomatoes, & I can't use them up or give them away fast enough. Just curious.....lol!
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's nice to have that during morning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is such a good idea! Had to pin to share :)
    Stopping by from Totally Tasty Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like such a fantastic idea. I will have to give it a try with all of our home-grown herbs :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Stopping by we LOVE to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...